Monday, September 13, 2010

Our Story: Ch. 8

Editor's Note: When I last updated Our Story, Lindsey and I had just found out she was pregnant again, and we had a doctor's appointment coming up.

Going into that first doctor's appointment, both Lindsey and I were apprehensive. We had just put all those emotions from the miscarriage behind us. We had finally gotten to a place of normalcy. This potential pregnancy was an ill-timed wrench thrown into our well-laid plans. Nonetheless, we had to deal with it. It was out of our hands at this point.
When we were finally called in to the ultrasound room, my heart started racing a mile a minute. I remember watching Lindsey's every movement with bated breath, from her sitting on the table and lifting up her shirt to the technician lubing up the ultrasound knob.
When the device was finally on Lindsey's belly, I know my eyes were as wide as saucers. The ultra-sound screen was blurry as the technician began trying to find what would become our baby. And the only sound we could hear was muffled scratching, like someone was blowing into a microphone.
The longer we waited to hear and see something, the more my heart began to sink. Disappointment began creep in to my psyche, and I actually started preparing for the worse.
Then there it was.
That tiny little fetus, shaped like a soybean, appeared out of nowhere. As soon as I saw it, I had what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity. It was the most captivating movie I had ever seen, and the heartbeat rivaled Beethoven's Fifth as the most beautiful symphony conjured by man.
It was truly a spiritual experience. That little soybean was love incarnate.
I was forever changed after that ultrasound. I knew then and there that everything would be alright. Lindsey and I were going to do whatever it took to make sure that soybean would blossom into a healthy and happy baby.
I just couldn't believe we had to wait eight more months before before we could hold it in our arms. For me, patience is a virtue that's hard to come by.
So I had to settle for milestones, but it would still be a couple more months before we found out if we needed to decorate in blue or pink.


2 comments:

  1. Lindsey, Tell your husband that I have been waiting a long time for that chapter and look forward to more. What a gift he has for writing. You are very blessed indeed. Mrs. Dyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have been waiting for the story to continue! Bobbie's blogposts always give me goosebumps when I read them. :) And P.S. I loved the pics on fb. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete