Friday, October 2, 2009

Our Story: Chapter 1

The phone call came as I was sitting at a bar, drinking a beer with a co-worker.
It annoyed me that Lindsey was calling. I just wanted to drink in peace, without having to answer for my actions.
Sadly, that was not going to be the case.
I answered.
"What are you doing?"
"Drinking a beer with Drew. What are you doing?"
"I need you to come home."
"What? Why?"
"I need you to check something."
Something in her voice told me that this was different. She sounded anxious and worried.
"What's wrong?"
"I just need you to check something."
"What is it?"
"I think I'm pregnant."
I instantly regretted ordering a beer. I should've been slamming shots.
Anyway, I asked her if she took a test. She confirmed and said she saw two lines, but wasn't sure.
So I headed straight home.
There it sat on the baby blue tile of our bathroom counter. One pronounced line, and one faintly visible line, haunting the other one like a ghost.
Five pregnancy tests later, we had our confirmation. Lindsey was pregnant.
We scheduled an appointment with the doctor and promptly told our parents.
After a couple days, all my worries and insecurities about being a father and our financial stability all were replaced by excitement and determination to make it work, no matter what.
Every time negative thoughts crept into my head, I would always think about holding my child for the first time without any distractions.
I pictured Lindsey being asleep in the hospital room and all the guests had left for the day, and I was alone with our baby for the first time.
Nothing to distract me but the baby itself.
I was completely focused, completely in love. Then I feel the baby's tiny hand grip my finger and squeeze ever so slightly.
It's a beautiful place. I went there every time doubt raised its ugly head, every time work became too much to bear, every time the money started to run out. It's my happy place, and I still go there today.
Little did I know that in a few days I was going to need a happy place more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment