This blog is mainly about Jack. I know this. But this week happens to be the most stressful week in a teacher's life. Why? It's TESTING WEEK!!!! Remember when we were in elementary school and we took the LEAP Test and the CAT test? Or at least we did in Lincoln Parish. I have no recollection of teachers stressing the importance of these tests, any kind of preparation, anything! Maybe they did, and I just didn't pay any attention to it. You passed. It's just what you did. You went to school, did your homework, tried hard on your tests, and went on to the next grade.
Things have changed, people.
Louisiana Dept. of Education has given each school scores in "stars"- like a really good school is a five star school, etc. They scores are heavily based on standardized tests results- like the LEAP test and the I-LEAP. In elementary, 4th graders take the LEAP (which is a pass/fail test- determines if students move on to 5th grade) and 3rd and 5th graders take the I-LEAP. Second graders take the IOWA test, which doesn't really count toward school scores. I taught 2nd grade for 4 years and 5th grade for 3 years, so I know a little about testing. However, this is my first year in 4th grade. I never knew pressure untill this year. I know there are several factors that go into student success such as student self-motivation, parental involvement, behavior, and of course teaching. But what happens if you you've done EVERYTHING you can to help prepare these kids for this test? How will it look on ME if I have some students fail? See what I mean? It will ALL fall back on me. And I'm NOT looking foward to that.
BUT, I keep everything in perspective. My job is not the most important thing in my life, even though I'm at work from 7:30-5 most days.
Just look at what I come home to....
Say a prayer for teachers, students, and parents this week!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment