We have officially lived here for 2 weeks. We are getting acclimated to our area/neighborhood we live in. With job hunting, daycare hunting, setting up the house, and Bobbie's job, we are staying busy.
When we decided to move to Houston, we had 4 main things to take care of:
1. Sell the house in Shreveport
2. Find a house in Houston to rent for now
3. Find Lindsey a job
4. Find a daycare for Jack.
I'm happy to report that we have 2 things crossed off on the list. We have found a rent house in Houston. (obviously) And we've found a daycare for Jack.

When I found out I was pregnant, I immediately knew where Jack would be going- to Mary. She has been so great with Jack and he loves her so much. She lives down the street from my school and was so easy to work with. I wish there were two of her so she could be in Houston also. Unfortunately, there is only one Mary and she's in Shreveport. So daycare hunting was a new process for me. I began to research some local
daycares around the area we live. You can rate and review
daycares online. I called around to price a few and visited several. Out of the several I visited, I was most comfortable with a particular one. Jack was with me when we visited all of the
daycares, and this one was the only one that he felt comfortable enough to go away from me and play with other children. That was the only sign I needed. I went back the next day to sign him up. Today was his first day to stay all day and he loved it. During
naptime, they sleep on cots which made me nervous b/c he still sleeps in his baby bed. But his teacher said he did very well. When I dropped him off, I made sure he was distracted so that I could quietly slip out and he not see me. Success!! I got a report card at the end of the day and he ate all of his lunch. No surprise, the boy likes to eat. And his teacher said he was happy and content all day. I was so glad b/c he hasn't been around a group of children since school. So I think I'll send him a couple of days a week until school starts so that he can get used to his classmates and teachers.
Another thing I wanted to work on this summer, once we got settled in Houston, was taking away the
noonie. Mary was able to take it away from him for
naptime. I tried for bedtime, but he wouldn't have it, so I decided to wait for a while. I usually give him just one. Sometimes he finds one in weird places. This will be a process. Any suggestions?

When we moved all of our stuff in this house, we forgot the screws, nuts, and bolts to Jack's baby bed. So, he had to sleep in the pack-n-play for a week. Once we went back to clean out our house in Shreveport, we made sure to get the screws. Jack's baby bed is now assembled and Jack is sleeping much better. Jack was a good helper to his daddy. He fetched the tools for him. It was really cute.

I am working hard to find a job. With education being hit hard with budget cuts all over the country, teaching jobs are hard to come by. But I will not give up because teaching is my calling and I can't imagine doing anything else.
Also, if anyone is looking or knows someone who is looking to buy a house in Shreveport, PLEASE let me know. I absolutely love our house there. It's in a good neighborhood, very kid-friendly, has a huge fenced in backyard, lots of space, 3 BR and 2 Bath... I could go on and on.
More Texas updates soon, plus a 21 month update on Jack Wesley!!! He's such a cutie. :) :) :)
DS has been without his paci for almost 3 weeks. Weaning him off it was a week-long process but we haven't looked back. First, I'd check the Farmer's Almanac to see when the best days are to wean and begin there. From that point, we poked holes with a straight pin in the tip of the paci, then more holes on day 2. Day 3 we cut an x in the tip. We made the x a little bigger on Day 4. By day 5, he didn't want the paci anymore, but we still snipped the end of it more and more and more through Day 7 just to seal the deal. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteAlso, what grade and subject? I have a friend who works in the admin dept of a private (maybe parochial) school there who I may be able to put you in contact with.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the move! Good luck in Houston!!
ReplyDelete